Thursday, October 14, 2010

The voice unheard

Today we have a meeting at work to go over results of an employee survey called "The Voice of the Employee" where we gave feedback about our job, our directors, etc. Typically, these things have been seen as a sham, because everyone just answers all 5's (where 5 is "everything is hunky dory) because if they don't, then we all have to come up with some kind of 'action plan' to address the things that need worked on. And because this basically just amounts to more work for everyone, and no one wants to do it, they just answer "everything's great." So, in essence, it is completely worthless.

This new survey replaced the old one we used to have, the Q12, and is supposed to somehow be better. I honestly don't think it will, can't see how it is really any different. And because Al is not so good at accepting constructive criticism - at least not in my personal experience - I think it is going to be absolutely pointless. I, for one, don't plan on saying a word. I have already had some negative experiences with him when I tried to voice my opinion about things, so I will speak only when facts are involved. To me, this is more like a "speak up so I can identify who likes me and thinks I'm great and who doesn't." If he was a good manager, and had good communication skills, it might be an actual feedback session where we all work together to figure out ways to improve processes and communication. But he is neither, so it won't be.

I think that after this one, if it goes like I think it is going to, I am going to send an email to a higher up and ask what the real point of these things is, and state my belief that they are a waste of time. I think someone needs to know, if for no other reason that to just be able to excuse myself from them because I find them so uncomfortable. We'll see though - maybe today will be different. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's almost like thinking that maybe within the next month or 2 I will find some beautiful, wonderful woman to share a relationship with - HA HA HA HA HA! Lol!

Hey, it's better to laugh at this stuff and find some humor in it. Because to me, it's like wanting the sky to be green, and really not liking that it is blue : I can either scream and cry about it, making myself and everyone else miserable, be all bummed, hopeless and depressed about it feeling helpless, or I can just accept it and find the humor in the situation. For years, I wanted to be the "agent of change." And the only change it ever created was in the attitudes of people - usually my superiors - towards me, from good to bad. Today, I am ok with, as John Lennon said, "just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round, I really love to watch them roll...."

No comments:

Post a Comment