Monday, May 17, 2010

The Big 4-O

So tomorrow is the "big" day - I officially turn 40 years old. And, although there will likely be very little fanfare, as I have no girlfriend, and am estranged from my mom, I am still very pleased to think that I am in the best shape of my life at this time, and all-in-all, things are pretty darned good right now. And when I say best shape ever, I am not even exaggerating. I can run a mile non-stop now without being completely out of breath, and repeat the feat on following days. Heck, I have never been able to run a mile period, save for the time I did it towards the end of high school in preparation for entering the marines. But even then, I was dying. Not so now.

And I have cut 4 inches off my waist - from a 36" (squeezing into size 34 pants) down to a legitimate 32" (with all of my size 34 pants falling off me!). It kinda' sucks to have to buy a whole new wardrobe of work pants, but given the reasoning, it is very gratifying too! Not only that, other numbers have come down too : my cholesterol, my triglycerides, etc. I got my ECHO biometrics back a couple of weeks ago, and everything looked way better than last year. It is great to know that all the working out and eating healthier is paying some real dividends.

In other news, I went out and bought myself a 2001 Suzuki GZ250 motorcylce from craigslist this weekend to use for communting back and forth to work. My truck is killing me on gas, and I heard something a couple of weeks ago about gas maybe going up to as much as $5 a gallon this summer. And if that happens, I would be screwed! So, I went out and picked up this little bike for a grand, and it is in really good shape. It looks good too, and came with a nice helmet and saddle bags to boot. Now I just have to get a nice, mesh riding jacket and I will be set.

Ty and I are on good terms, and we have been talking with each other about the issues we are dealing with regarding our relationship malfunctions. It seems as though we both share a lot of the same behaviors and patterns, and it is actually good to have someone to share this stuff with - especially someone as cool as she is. Unfortunately, she is back to smoking again, and I highly doubt she is working out anymore, but you know what? That's actually a good thing, in that she needs to be Ty, and not who I, or someone else, wants her to be. And she is coming to realize that, and for that I am grateful.

I must admit that I am a little bummed that I haven't landed a "babe" yet, given how much better shape I am in. I mean, don't these women know how good I look now, and that I deserve it because of how hard I have worked?!?! Apparently not! Lol! But if that is my biggest worry today, then I consider myself blessed, and actually grateful to have lived to see another birthday. It is definitely not a given, and for many years, I thought - no, I was determined - that I would never see the day. I'm glad I gave life, and myself, a chance.